Saturday, February 25, 2012

Coffee Cards for Card Competition

Yeah, finally finished all the cards for the card competition on March 3rd & 4th!!!  I need to get them in the mail today so they arrive before the deadline.

The first coffee card I made to look like a to-go coffee cup.  For the background paper I dyed a coffee filter using 3 different color inks from ink refillers from Stampin' Up.  I took some scarp brown paper and ran it through my crimper and colored in the one and only coffee stamp I have for a label.  The card is bright and fun.

The second coffee card I went in a different direction and I must say it really doesn't say coffee to me.  I wanted to make a flower using coffee filters and that was my main thought for this card.  The background paper is a register from a hotel register from 1898.  I cut several strips of designer card stock and sewed all the elements together.  I stamped a library book check out card and mounted it to a piece of card stock I ran through my crimper.  I didn't have a stamp with a coffee saying on it so I found a saying on the Internet and typed it out using my word processor software and printed it out on regular copy paper.  I punched it out using an oval punch, scrunched up the paper and distressed it using distress inks.  I mounted it to a piece of plain card stock and attached it to the library card.  I purchased vanilla seam binding ribbon from Stamping up hoping I could dye it for whatever color I wanted and I can!  I tied one bow using the ribbon as is and using my green distress ink pad and sponge applicator I created the green ribbon for the second bow and tied them together.  I will be ordering more of this vanilla ribbon I love it!

I dyed more coffee filters using alcohol inks this time and using the smallest scallop circle Spellbinder dies created the flower.  This was so simple!  I cut 2 of the smallest larger die and 4 of the smallest dies, put a brad in the center and scrunched each layer to create the flower.  I popped up the flower on the card and the card was done.  I love making the flowers and see a lot more of them in my future :-)






I'll let you know if I place or win...cross your fingers that the judges love my cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment