Monday, February 20, 2012

Vellum Card for Competition

I wasn't going to enter the card competition at the Stamp Convention at the Mesa Convention Center on March 3rd & 4th.  Every one told me I should so I spent several hours yesterday and today working on a vellum card. 

I really haven't worked with vellum that much so I did some searching online for some techniques.  YouTube had some interesting videos and gave me some good ideas.

I tried a technique called Frosted Spellbinders and the first card didn't turn out the way I wanted it to so I tried again and I like this card so much better than the first one; so does my hubby :0)

I used a Spellbinder die to cut out the backing of the vellum in olive green card stock.  I than cut out a piece of vellum using the same die and turned it over to work on the back side with my stylus tool.  After indenting the outside bubbles I used a white pencil to darken the color in each bubble.  I than followed the outline of the scallop part of the die using a smaller head on the stylus.  I took a small round Spellbinder die to trace around the outside of the die in the center of the vellum and than cut a piece of very vanilla for the center piece with "Thanks" on it.  Using my piercing tool I put holes throughout the piece.

I added vellum butterflies for some spice.  I used distress embossing powder in tea dye to give the vellum butterflies some color.  I first used white embossing powder but didn't like the white with all the vanilla in the paper on the card.

For the card itself I used Old Olive and added a piece of Purely Pomegranate behind the designer paper called Botanical Gazette all from Stampin' Up.  I added lace trim and very vanilla ribbon along with half pearls in vanilla coloring. 

I distressed the pomegranate paper and designer paper by roughing up the edges and using old olive ink.  After distressing the paper I sewed the two pieces together around the edges.

I think this one is a keeper and will enter it.  Now I need to make another style of vellum card for Saturday's contest; you can enter two in each category.  I will post it when it's finished.

Here are a couple of photos of my card.


No comments:

Post a Comment