Thursday, December 24, 2009

Top Note Money Holders

I have decided to separate my crafting from my dance blog and this is my first entry for my craft blog. My plan is to add a new craft each week to this blog and we'll see how far I get in 2010 :0)


My darling hubby wanted me to create cards for his grand kids for Christmas. He always gives them money since what do you give to teenagers! Money is definitely the safest thing to give :-)


I found a tutorial for the Top Note die as a gift card holder and adapted it for a money holder; it wasn't that difficult thank goodness. Here's the link to the tutorial I found online by Amber Chapman.



Here's a photo of all 3 money holder cards that I made. The guitar player card was made with the Ink, Spray & Smash technique and the skate boarder technique was with shaving cream; I love these techniques they are simple and really messy!




The Ink, Spray and Smash technique is done with glossy white paper, your choice of colors for the ink and a spray bottle with water. I used Yoyo Yellow, Real Red and Brilliant Blue ink refillers from Stampin' Up for the colors.

Start with the lightest color ink and drop 2 - 3 drops on one piece of glossy white paper. Continue with the other colors and spray at least twice with water on both sheets of glossy paper and smash glossy sides together. What's so nice about this technique you get two background pieces to work with. Pull paper apart and set aside to die.

I stamped the card with the Extreme Guitar stamp from Stampin' Up and stamps from a retired stamp set from Stampin' Up called Groovy. I cut the background with the Top Note die and attached it to the card.




This card was very simple and I used the pine tree from the Lovely as a Tree stamp set and Extreme Snowboard both from Stampin' Up to create this card. I dabbed light blue ink to create a little sky so it looks like the snowboarder is flying through the air.


I used the large oval die cut from Sizzix and attached it to the large scalloped oval die from Nestabillities. Using the Top Note die from Stampin' Up Sizzix collection I used black for the money holder and trimmed a piece of white card stock for the background. I did the same for the inside of the card so I could stamp the sentiment.



The background for this money holder was created with shaving cream and ink refillers. I love the marble effect you get with this technique and it's so simple.


Purchase the cheapest white shaving cream you can find and spray the shaving cream onto a paper plate. I used Only Orange, Tempting Turquoise and Real Red ink refillers and placed several drops of each color on top of the shaving cream. I used a plastic knife to draw through the shaving cream turning the plate to mix the colors. Be sure not to over stir the shaving cream the colors will blend too much and become muddy.

I used tags that I had purchased and was able to make 10 tag backgrounds with this one plate of shaving cream. Put a tag or paper into the shaving cream and tap it down; pull the tag out and set aside and continue the process. I have a small plastic scraper that I use to scrap the shaving cream off the tags you can use a plastic knife also. When you remove the shaving cream it creates a marble pattern on the tag.

I stamped the tag with the Extreme Skateboard stamp from Stampin' Up and cut a black background 1/4" inch larger than the tag to make it pop.




This is the inside of one of the money holder cards. In the fold I cut a slit for the money to stick in.


Have a great holiday season and a very happy New Year...


No comments:

Post a Comment